Another laptop goes to a good home

Today, we passed on a nice refurbished laptop to Grant, from the Employment Support Team. He took it to give to a vulnerable person, who is trying to get back to work – we wish them the best of luck!

If you have an old computer that you don’t need any more, why not drop it off with us and we can try to give it a good home!

Last chance to whittle

Our last two wood events of the summer are near the beginning of July and on the bank holiday at the end of August. Both of these events are facilitated by Woodies Woodland Craft Training & Education.

Spoon carving – Monday 8th July, 6-8:30pm (£5-20)

Whittling day – Monday, 26th August, 10am-3pm (£10-40)

Kids, from 10, can attend, assuming they are accompanied by an adult.

More wood that needs carving

We have a couple of whittling events coming up soon, including a full day of woodcrafting fun on August bank holiday, which lets you really get your teeth stuck in! All our events are pay-what-you-can, so we expect them to be very popular indeed, just like the two spoon carving events we’ve already successfully run this year. Both of these events are run by the talented Rick from Woodies Woodland Craft Training & Education.

Spoon carving – Monday 8th July, 6-8:30pm (£5-20)

Whittling day – Monday, 26th August, 10am-3pm (£10-40)

There is also still a single place left on Bil’s bench top carving class in a couple of weeks:

Relief Carving – Thursday, 6th June, 6-9pm (£5-£20)

Card games design in the city

Yesterday, we were at Tabletop Republic Lancaster, running an event as part of a city-centre wide Lancaster Fun Palace. We try to get involved in local STEAM outreach as often as possible!

Visitor were able to design their own playing cards, using blank cards that we’d cut out with laser beams. They ended up making some very innovative and vibrant designs!

We also had the first playtest of a eco-themed card game that Bil is designing. This will become part of a secret project later in the year! The mechanics were a little off, because we got completely bogged down in pollution really early in the game. Thankfully, real life isn’t quite that punishing. The volunteers gave very useful constructive criticism – thanks!

A summer of carving

After our first whittling class was such a success, in spite of it being on April fools’ day, we’ve added another two events to our summer schedule. One of those is a bumper session on August bank holiday!

First whittling class a success

Our first wood whittling session went off well today. Lots of spoons and a cute little mushroom were hand crafted with the help of the lovely lads from Woodies.

Some of the crafters also personalised their spoons by engraving them with a photography stylus.

We have another whittling session on Tuesday, 7th May at 6pm – ( We are organising more sessions for July and August, which we’ll announce shortly.

Spoon carving – April 1st

We have a fun spoon carving event on the 1st April at 1pm – come and practice some whittling, indoors, at our workshop on White Cross! It is £20 to attend, but we encourage you to pay what your can afford (minimum £5).

All materials, tools and safety equipment will be provided for you and your get to take your spoon, spatula or mushroom home! Under 18s must be accompanied, min 10 years old.

We have other events coming up in May and June and beyond:

Wood carving crowdfunding

We have set up a crowdfunder at, to buy a variety wood carving equipment, which will be matched pound for pound by the Lancashire Sport and Culture fund. Our goal is to generate a total of £395, but if we can raise £200 ourselves, then it will be matched by the fund and we’ll get the new equipment paid for. The equipment will be accessible to all members of LAMM, but also the public when they are attending classes at our space.

Once we have the equipment, we will put on some courses in wood carving and whittling – any donation of at least £15 will get a place in one of these classes (they will be £5-20, pay-as-you-feel, should you want to pay later).

  • Set of 6 wood carving gouges (for use with a mallet for relief carving)
  • A brass headed carving chisel for use with the above
  • set of 10 wood carving knives (for whittling and spoon making)
  • 2 “safety” wood carving knives, for use by kids or novices.
  • wood threading kit – essentially a large tap-and-die for making parts for vices and presses

Every donation, from a minimum of £2, is worthwhile and we are already up to £75 out of the £200 we need to raise ourselves! We do need at least 20 discrete donations, so small contributions are still very important!