General Safety Rules #
- Use gloves, ear protection and goggles with chemicals and power tools, available in the space. We do not supply dust masks for hygiene reasons, so please purchase your own and use when appropriate.
- Do not use damaged tools or tools with frayed cables. Report on telegram and put aside for repair (Or repair yourself if confident!)
- DO NOT use power tools when on your own in the space. As we are not monitored 24/7, any lone accident could be serious!
- If you have never used a tool before, or are less than 100% sure of your skill, ask for a demonstration from another competent member, and to learn any appropriate safety procedures
- Wash hands after using oils and resins
- Clean up all debris after use.
- Consider air-borne dust and fumes as a health hazard, so use dust extraction appropriately
- No welding equipment or high voltage electronics in the space. Please review https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_voltage
- No unattended battery charging in the space. No charging of high-capacity LiPO Storage, such as found on e-bikes or e-scooters, at any time!
- Do not disable safety guardsVent the exhaust from resin printers and laser cutters out of the windows
- This isn’t an exhaustive list of potentially dangerous tools and activities. If in doubt email firstname.lastname@example.org or ask on telegram
What if an accident happens? #
Report all accidents to the board no matter how minor.
If you can walk, the Accident and Emergency Department at the Royal Lancaster Infirmary is 8 minutes away.
If not sufficiently mobile, ring 999 and report your location as Floor 4, Harpers Mill, White Cross Business Park, LA1 4XF.
If you are unable to unlatch the RFID door mechanism or are somehow trapped, request the fire service. If not an emergency, ask on Telegram for assistance.
A first aid kit is available by the door, and fire extinguishers are next to the pillar drill and CO2 laser (the large machine).